Communites | Raymond

Raymond

Raymond

Then – Raymond started out as a tent city. In the winter of 1885-1886 floods threatened the Fresno River. A.H. Washburn, owner of the Yosemite Stage and Turnpike Company, and the Owner of the Wawona hotel in Yosemite, convinced the Southern Pacific Railroad to build an alternate route to the Wawona. In 1886 Coarsegold and Fresno Flats were by-passed by the new route. Travel to Wawona went through Raymond, Ahwahnee, and Fish Camp. The new Railroad stop was named after Israel Ward Raymond. Raymond became so busy that it was reported one night the local inn ran out of beef, and served up wildcat instead. Thus it was nicknamed wildcat station.

Now – Merced to El Portal railroad route opened in 1907. In 1926 year round highway 140 was completed. Thus ended the Southern Pacific Railroad route through Raymond.

Today home to ranchers and granite mines. Raymond granite is known through out the United States. The granite from this area was used to help rebuild San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake and fires. It is also found in building in Sacramento, Los Angeles, Salt Lake, and Dallas, just to name a few. For one of eastern Madera County's easier commutes to valley cities, with lot's of room for horses and riding, check our homes and properties for sale in rural Raymond, California.

Raymond ranches, Raymond estates, Raymond homes and land, Raymond real estate, Raymond cabins